April-May 2017 Edition of Parent Information Relating to Special Education
Parent Information Relating to Special Education
All these opportunities are FREE unless noted.
In most cases you must register if registration information is provided below.
From Chaos to Calm: Keys to Parenting ADHD
Wed. Apr. 26, 7 - 9 pm Lecture Hall Herndon High School, 700 Bennett St. Herndon
Dyslexia & the IEP: How to Make Sure the IEP is in Tip-Top Shape
Webinar On demand, available 24/7
Autism & Safety
Thur. Apr. 27, 10 am – noon, Dunn Loring Center Ent. 1, 2334 Gallows Rd. Dunn Loring
Learn about potential safety risks for children with ASD and other cognitive disabilities. Learn proactive steps to reduce these risks and community resources for preparedness.
Community Conversation on Youth Suicide Prevention
Thur. Apr. 27, 1:30 - 4:00 pm Virginia Hills Ctr., 6500 Diana Lane, Alexandria
Come learn about local suicide prevention efforts, research on tools for detecting depression and suicidal risk in youth, and other behavioral health initiatives underway.
Protect Against Substance Abuse
Thurs. Apr. 27, 7:00 - 8:30 pm Stuart HS Cafeteria 3301 Peace Valley Ln. Falls Church
Hear the personal stories of young adults, parents, and professionals relating to the dangers of substance abuse, signs and symptoms of drug use, and county resources.
Operation Medicine Cabinet Cleanout
Sat. Apr. 29, 8 am – 2 pm At eight Fairfax County Police District Stations
Prevent drug abuse, accidental poisoning, and environmental damage by dropping off unused pill or liquid medications (no pressurized canisters or needles).
Spring 2017 After School Programs available!
Click here to view the options and detailed information on the after school activities available for sign-up!
Last Updated on Friday, 17 March 2017 17:18
Mid-Month Edition of Parent Information Relating to Special Education
All these opportunities are FREE unless noted.
Save the Date: Fairfax County Special Education PTA Informational Meeting
Tues. Mar. 28, 7 - 9 pm Fairfax Circle Church 3110 Chichester Lane, Fairfax
Learn about a new PTA for all Fairfax County parents and teachers of students with disabilities: Fairfax County SEPTA. Volunteer before the meeting to help or serve as an officer.
Register Now: FCPS Special Education Conference 2017
Sat. April 1, 8 a.m. - 3 p.m. Hayfield Secondary School 7630 Telegraph Rd, Alexandria
Learn the latest research, strategies, and trends in the education of students with disabilities.
Over 60 workshops to choose from and over 80 exhibitors to see. Translators available.
Wed. March 15, 7 - 8 pm JCCNV 8900 Little River Turnpike, Fairfax
Learn about how to keep yourself and your loved ones safe on the internet with this presentation by the Fairfax County Police.
Introduction to Special Education
Wed. Mar. 15, 7 - 9 pm FCPS Parent Resource Center 2334 Gallows Rd., Entr. 1, Dunn Loring
This workshop will help parents understand the special education process, learn about available resources, and develop an understanding of how to help their child.
Navigating Technology - How to Help Children Address Cyber Bullying & Manage Electronics
Wed. Mar. 15, 7:30 pm Arlington Central Library 1015 N Quincy St, Arlington
------ GENERAL INFORMATION ------
Lees Corner PTA Mission Statement
- Promote the welfare of children and youth in home, school and community.
- Assist parents in developing the skills they need to raise and protect their children.
- Encourage parent and public involvement in the public schools.
- Speak on behalf of the children and youth in schools, in the community, and before governmental bodies and other organizations that make decisions affecting children.
- Foster an open relationship between educators, parents and the general public that will secure for all children and youth the highest advantages in physical, mental, social, and spiritual education.
- Encourage school spirit and pride.
- Minutes and other pertinent information is posted approximately a week after each meeting and are available here.
- 2016-17 meetings will be on the following Mondays: Sept 12, Oct 17, Nov 14, Jan 9, Feb 13, Mar 13, May 8, June 12 (no meeting Dec/Apr)
Lees Corner PTA Bylaws
PTA Budget and Treasurer's report
- The final budget for 2016-17 will be approved and posted after the September PTA meeting. For reference, the 2015-16 budget is available here.
- Lees Corner Elementary School and the PTA cannot function without the help of the community. Most volunteer opportunities are one-time only and take as little as two hours of your time. Please take the time this year to consider how you can help with a large event or participate on a committee. Whether you are a member of the PTA or not, you can sign up to help. Volunteers are needed throughout the year so consider finding 3 opportunities to help out this year.
For inclement weather and other emergency announcements, please click here: Fairfax County Public Schools Emergency Announcement
Last Updated on Wednesday, 24 August 2016 00:01
EARN MONEY FOR LEES CORNER FROM THE PURCHASES YOU ALREADY MAKE- IT’S SO EASY!
Each year, Lees Corner Elementary School earns thousands of dollars from the purchases our families make at grocery and retail stores. Last year we made nearly $6,000! This year we are again focusing on Giant, Target and Amazon.com.
Giant A+ School Rewards Program
If you are new to Lees Corner or have never registered your Giant card, all you have to do is:
If you don’t know your 13-digit Giant CARD number, call the Hotline at 1-877-366-2668 and select OPTION #2
- Choose Lees Corner Elementary School - 01905. (You can designate up to 2 schools.)
If you registered your card in past years, you DO NOT need to re-register this year! However, you can visit the website to verify correct school assignment. Also, don’t forget to encourage your friends and relatives to do the same. It means more Cash for our school!
Together in Education Program (TIE)
Together in Education schools earn funds between August - May. Lees Corner earns based on your purchases! Shop for HT brands and a percentage of your purchase helps Lees Corner. Participating brands include Harris Teeter, HT Traders, Farmers Market and Harris Teeter Organics; as well as, the HT pharmacy.
- Visit www.harristeeter.com Click on "Link to your School" on the left. Link your VIC card to 6220 – Lees Corner Elementary School.
- Or email
and provide your last name, VIC card # (11 digits) and phone number. The PTA will create a Mass Link with this information.
- If you registered your card in previous years, you still need to re-register this year!
Need help? Contact Kelly DeShields @
Amazon will donate 0.5% of the price of your eligible AmazonSmile purchases to the charitable organization of your choice. AmazonSmile is the same Amazon you know. Same products, same prices, same service.
- Choose Lees Corner by simply clicking this link: http://smile.amazon.com/ch/54-1374380
- Support Lees Corner by always starting your shopping at smile.amazon.com. Once you register, Lees Corner will automatically be pre-selected. Bookmark it today!
Need help? Contact Kelly DeShields at
Last Updated on Wednesday, 14 September 2016 17:50